Curtains are a huge part of a room’s decor. Because of this, curtains and drapes should be washed and vacuumed on a regular basis to prevent them from looking dingy and accumulating allergens and dust mites.
This is often easier said than done. Curtains tend to be made out of delicate materials that can easily become faded, creased, or otherwise damaged if cleaned improperly. For this reason, many homeowners prefer to take their drapes to a curtain cleaning service in Dublin rather than risk doing it on their own.
In previous articles, we discussed the ins and outs of professional curtain cleaning and provided you with some advice on how to wash your curtains and drapes. Now we’ll give you some tips on how to get the stains out of different types of curtains. Keep reading to learn more.
How do you get stains out of curtains?
Removing stains from your curtains can be tricky. Although most stains can be easily cleaned with detergent and water, there are some stubborn stains that require a little more work to remove.
Here’s how to remove different types of curtain stains:
- Chocolate should be allowed to harden first, and then scraped off using a dull blade. The stain itself can be blotted out with warm water and a mild detergent.
- Residue from adhesives such as tape or gum can be removed by rubbing ice cubes on them for 20 minutes or so and then scraping them off. Launder the curtains as usual afterwards.
- Blood can usually be blotted out with cold water. Another option is to treat the bloodstains with a little glycerin or a carpet cleaner, let it sit for 30 minutes, and then blot the stain out with water.
- Smoking causes curtains to develop an ugly yellow hue. To remove it, make a mixture of hot water, half a cup of borax, half a cup of salt, and a cup of baking soda, and soak the stained areas in it overnight. Wash the curtains normally in the morning.
- Oil stains should first be pre-treated with dishwashing liquid, and then blotted with a sponge that has been dampened in hot water. Afterwards, launder the drapes in hot water and use powdered laundry detergent.
- Beer and other alcoholic beverages can be drawn out by sponging up the excess fluid and applying water and distilled white vinegar to the stained area.
How do you deep clean curtains?
Sometimes, a curtain or drape is just too dirty or deeply stained to be cleaned by regular means. If this is the case with your curtains, your best course of action is to hire a professional curtain cleaning company.
This also applies if your curtains are made out of sensitive fabrics such as silk, wool, linen, acrylic bead, or velvet. These materials tend to become damaged, heavily creased, or to lose colour when cleaned using everyday cleaning methods, which is why they should always be cleaned by the experts.
Where can I schedule a reliable curtain cleaning service in Dublin?
If cleaned and maintained properly, curtains and drapes can retain their softness and great looks for decades. Here at Emerald Carpet Cleaning, we’d like to make that a reality for you by supplying you with the very finest curtain, carpet, and upholstery cleaning services in Dublin.
We’re an award-winning company that boasts a €1.6 million full liability insurance cover and uses commercial-grade steam cleaners and top-quality chemicals. With us, you’ll never have to worry that your fabrics will be cleaned using ineffective or dangerous cleaning products. Book your cleaning today and take a carefree walk by The Custom House with your friends and family while we take care of your curtain cleaning for you.